Capitol Forum on China’s Environment
"US-China Collaboration on China's Environmental Crisis"
Capitol Hill, March 19, 2014
• China Society (www.thechinasociety.org)
• International Fund for China’s Environment (www.ifce.org)
• Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD), Chair, Senate Committee on Foreign Relations East Asian & Pacific Affairs Subcommittee; Chair, Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works Water and Wildlife Subcommittee
• Congressman Gregory W. Meeks (D-NY), House Foreign Affairs Committee
When: 3:30-5:00 PM, March 19, 2014 (Wednesday)
Where: Senate Visitor Center SVC 201-00 (in the Capitol Visitor Center)
China’s environmental problems have generated widespread international attention since the onset of unprecedented smog last year, shutting down transportation in affected cities. In addition to air pollution challenges, China is also facing major water- and soil-pollution issues arising from China's rapid economic growth over the last three decades. Chinese government authorities are embarking on a series of actions aimed at stemming this environmental crisis, increasingly accepted as a threat to China's natural environment, economic development, human health and security and an international air pollution concern. Meanwhile, emerging non-government groups on the ground in China are also assisting with monitoring and reporting on pollution sources, as well as supporting regulators and enforcement authorities on air pollution issues. This special forum will introduce and enable discussion on these environmental challenges and the Chinese government and citizen’s responses. Ongoing cooperative activities and opportunities for further collaboration between US and China will also be discussed.
• Professor Lan Hong, Director of the Center for Environmental Economy, Renmin University, China
• Ms. Jane Nishida, Acting Assistant Administrator for International Affairs, US Environmental Protection Agency
• Dr. Ping He, President, International Fund for China’s Environment
Moderator: Richard (Tad) Ferris, Jr, Vice Chairman, International Fund for China’s Environment